** The Murray 2 Power Station inspections will be closed to the public on
Tuesday 21 & Wednesday 22 February 2017 due to construction works on our
new Visitors Centre building. Inspections at 11am and 2pm will recommence on Thursday 23 February 2017.**
Snowy Hydro has commenced major overhaul works at Murray 1 Power Station as part of our multi-million Scheme Modernisation Program. As a result, we have temporarily closed the Murray 1 Visitors’ Centre.
Modernisation works have been ongoing at Murray 1 over the past eight years and in July 2016 the first of the major overhauls commenced. This includes mechanical upgrades and replacement of the turbines which will result in improved water utilisation, efficiency and smoother operation of the plant. These improvement works will continue – unit by unit – until around 2024.
Safety is very important at Snowy Hydro, for both our employees and the communities we operate in. During the major works, there will be a significant increase in truck, car and people movements at Murray 1. As a result, we have temporarily closed the Murray 1 Visitors Centre.
As an alternative during the Murray 1 Power Station works, we have temporarily opened our Murray 2 Power Station for inspections!
Murray 2 Power Station Inspections hosted by one of our great customer service team at 11am and 2pm daily. Visitors are able to view informative displays, watch our short video on the business and the Scheme and view the power station from the inside viewing area.
We would like to thank the community and the visiting public for their patience while we endeavour to create a unique visitor experience at Murray 2 during the refurbishment works. We are in the process of creating an alternative visitor experience for our valued customers at our Murray 2 Power Station located at the end of Murray 2 Power Station Road.
Where: Murray 2 Power Station, Power Station Rd, Khancoban
Open: 7 days: 11am and 2pm Monday to Sunday
Closed: Christmas Day, Anzac Day & weekends during Winter
Cost: Entry is free of charge
All power stations in the Snowy Mountains Scheme are working power stations. There are special requirements for visitors who participate in Murray 2 Power Station inspections. These requirements are in the interests of your safety and security of our facilities.
The special safety requirements for participating in a Murray 2 Power Station Inspection are:
- Covered footwear must be worn (i.e thongs etc are not permitted in power stations).
- Cameras are not permitted.
- No backpacks or large bags are to be taken into power stations.
- We reserve the right to inspect any hand luggage carried on a tour.
- Children must be supervised at all times.
- Visitors fitted with pacemakers are not permitted on the power station tour.
- Due to operational or maintenance requirements, tours may be cancelled without notice.
- Power stations and visitor facilities are under constant video/security surveillance.
- We apologise for the fact that there is no disabled access.
- Follow the directions of our guides at all times.