Need some ideas on how to see the best of the Snowy Mountains Scheme? We have developed some self drive itineraries that provide an insight to some of the regions natural attractions as well as iconic Snowy Mountains Scheme locations and points of interest. These touring routes are easy to undertake and are mostly on fully sealed roads. However during winter the roads may be closed or impassable so please ensure you check the road conditions prior to your journey.
Download our Touring Guide for the itineraries and more information about the Scheme.
Self driving through the Snowy Mountains may take you into some remote areas where forward planning is extremely important to ensure your experience is safe, enjoyable and memorable. Please read the following safety tips to assist you –
- Check the road and weather conditions prior to setting off, some roads may be closed
- Always tell someone where you are going, your return date and your itinerary
- Ensure your vehicle is in good condition. Check tyres, water and mechanics
- Always carry chains in during the snow season
- Carry extra water, food and warm clothing
- In event of a breakdown in a remote location, remain with your vehicle
- Large slow moving vehicles may be encountered on roads and highways, take care when overtaking
- Beware of wondering wildlife, especially at dusk and dawn when visibility may be poor and wildlife become more active
- Be prepared, pack a first aid kit
- Expect rapid changes in weather conditions.
- Some roads are unsealed.
- A fee is charged for entry to Kosciuszko National Park
- Snowy Hydro strongly recommends driving with your lights on at all times
The Snowy Mountains Scheme is situated in this picturesque area and provides a number of opportunities to see and experience the mighty Scheme!
Copyright © Snowy Hydro Limited. All rights reserved.